POWERS AND DUTIES OF ITS OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
Inspector General of Police (I) :
1. Supervise, control and co-ordinate the functions of DIG of Police, Special Cell,CID and DIG of Police,Operations,CID and all the sections/units under them.
2. Supervision of Research & Development Cell and all matters pertaining to training.
3. Initiate steps of combat serious Railway Crime, Highway Crime, Bank Dacoities/Robberies, theft of Arms and Ammunitions, Cases of Terrorism and extremists’ violence leading to general disturbances, organized crimes including coal theft etc.
4. Ensure improvement in the quality of investigation of cases, investigated within the purview of DIG of Police, Operations,CID and DIG of Police,Special Cell,CID.
*5. Hold periodical meetings with the Zonal IG of Polices and DIG of Polices of the Range, District SPs of his jurisdiction, IG of Police, Railway and his officers and appropriate level of officers of Kolkata Police, West Bengal/ Addl.DG&IGP, CID,WB.
8. Monitor and scrutinize progress of trial of Sub-judice cases under DIG of Police, Operations, CID and DIG of Police,Special Cell,CID and take steps to expedite, trials of the same. He will hold periodical meetings with judges/Magistrates for the purpose.
9. Visit CID units under the jurisdiction of DIG of Police,Operations and DIG of Police, Special and take administrative steps to improve working conditions, besides issuing instructions regarding investigation of cases.
10. Annual Inspections of selected CID units as allotted by Addl.DG&IGP,CID.
11. Any other duty as may be specifically assigned to him by DG&IGP, WB and Addl.DG&IGP,CID,WB..